Last modified: 2005-07-16 by rob raeside
Keywords: seychelles |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Jaume Ollé, 12 September 1998
This flag was in use 1961-c.1970. In 1970-1976 the badge was changed.
by Michael Smuda, 14 September 1998
Barraclough and Crampton 1981 also mentions concerning the British Indian Ocean Territory that it was formed in 1965 and that the Blue Ensign with the Seychelles badge was used in this territory.
Santiago Dotor, 13 April, 2000
From the Toronto Globe and Mail (transcribed from a newspaper clipping; some parts missing):
"Torontonian Designs Flag for Seychelles"
A new flag badge for the Seychelles Islands has been designed by Mrs. Alec McEwen of Toronto. A few days ago she received word from London that the design had been approved by the Queen and that the Admiralty has agreed to its use in the fly of the blue ensign.
A former commercial artist entered a poster contest and the governor was delighted with her sketch. So one of the first of new Seychelles Islands flags will come to another British colony halfway around the world, to its designer. Colorful both in design and content, it closely resembles the ...
...its pale yellow oval border inset with green fish on a blue background. It still carries the giant land tortoise, a gentle, lumbering creature centuries older than people in the islands; and a brown and green coco-de-mer tree from which the largest fruit in the world, big double coconuts, are harvested. The fruit, which Mrs. McEwen describes as a translucent jelly, is served at Government House smothered in crème de menthe. In the background is a pale mauve island top and a red fishing boat with snowy sails. The insignia is indicative of main industries on the agricultural islands - coconuts and copra, cinnamon and fish and vanilla.
submitted by Ann Janicki, daughter of Mrs. McEwen, 28 April 2005
by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 11 September 2000
This flag was used from 1903 to 1961. Before 1903, Seychelles was administered as a dependency of Mauritius.
David Prothero, 23 September 2000