Last modified: 2002-03-29 by istvan molnar
Keywords: zalau | zilah | partium | romania | salaj | szilágy | transylvania |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
No information is available on flag.
Zalău (in Hungarian Zilah) is a city in Salăj (in Hungarian Szilágy) County of Romania. The commune contains two settlements: City of Zalău / Zilah and Stâna village. The city has got 67.977 inhabitants (20,1% Hungarians, 1992 census). Neighbouring communities are: Crişeni / Cigányi, Hereclean / Haraklány, Meseşenii de Jos / Magyarkecel, Agrij, Românaşi, Creaca and Mirşid communities.
The first mention of the settlement is from 1241 when the Mongols destroyed it. The church was built in 1246. Zilah was part of the Central-Szolnok County of the Kingdom of Hungary to 1538. 1538-1552 was part of the semi-independent Principality of Transylvania ruled by King János I. 1552-1570 was in Hungary ruled by the Habsburgs. The Treaty of Speyer in 1570 allocated it to the Principality of Transylvania with some counties (Partium Regni Hungariae in Hungarian 'Részek' means 'Parts'). 1806-1876 it was a Free Royal City. In 1862 Zilah was reallocated to Hungary. Capital of Central-Szolnok County to 1876, and Szilágy (in Romanian Salăj) County 1876-1919.
1876-1919 the settlement was a town in Szilágy County of the Kingdom of Hungary. Inhabitants in 1910: 8.062; 7.477 (92,7%) Hungarian, 529 (6,6%) Rumanian and 56 (0,7%) other by mother tongue, 5.353 (66,4%) Calvinist, 1.333 (16,5%) Roman Catholic, 873 (10,9%) Greek Catholic, 415 (5,1%) Jew and 88 (1,1%) other by religion. From 1919/1920 (Romanian occupation / Treaty of Trianon) to 1940 (Second Decision in Vienna) part of the Kingdom of Romania.1940-1944 part of Hungary. The Treaty of Paris reallocated it to Romania.The settlement was a town 1952-1968 in Cluj Region and from 1968 it is city in Salaj County.
István Molnár, 15 Dec 2000
Historical flag of Zilah (Kingdom of Hungary)
by István Molnár, 15 Dec 2000
Red, yellow and red "spanish" triband (1+2+1, horiz.).
António Martins, 28 February 2001
This flag appears at Dr. Széll Sándor: Városaink neve, címere és lobogója (1941) as "Zilah, Szilágy Co.".