Last modified: 2006-07-28 by rob raeside
Keywords: cristuru | secuiesc | szekely | keresztur | romania | harghita | hargita |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Cristuru Secuiesc - Székelykeresztúr is in Harghita - Hargita County, Romania
Cristuru Secuiesc, in Hungarian Székelykeresztúr has got 9,500 inhabitants (98.6% Hungarian; 1992 census). Religious Composition: 47.9% Calvinists, 32.2% Unitarians, 16.2% Roman Catholics, 2.7% Orthodox. The town was in the Udvarhely (in Rumanian Odorhei) County of the Kingdom of Hungary from 1876 to 1919/1920 (Rumanian occupation / Treaty of Trianon) Before 1876 Székelyudvarhely was one of the Székely boroughs in the Székely Land and the capital of the formerly "Keresztúr fiúszék" (like county, but more than a county with self-government). The town 1920-1940 part of Romania, 1940-1944 part of Hungary (after the Decision of Vienna. The Treaty of Paris (1947) reallocated it to Romania. 1952-1968 part of the Hungarian Autonomous Region.
First mention from 1332 like Szentkereszt. In 1559 it became borough.
Roman Catholic Gothic Church (1458), Reformed Church (1767), Town Museum,
István Molnár, 8 July 2000
Coat of Arms
by István Molnár, 9 Oct 2000
The Coat of Arms of Cristuru Secuiesc - Székelykeresztúr, Harghita County, Romania is located at http://www.keresztur.kabelkon.ro/