Last modified: 2006-09-30 by antónio martins
Keywords: alcácer do sal | salt | coat of arms: ship | cross: saint james (red) | castle (red) | waves: 5 |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is a quite typical portuguese municipal flag, with the coat of arms
centered on a plain red background. The coat of arms is or, a castle
gules open and lit of the same charged with an escutcheon charged with
Portugal Ancien, the castle flanked by two St.
James crosses and standing on a mound vert, in counterchief of six
wavy fesses argent and azure upon which sails a ship or dresses argent and
flagged of St. George. Mural crown argent with
four visible towers (town rank) and white
scroll reading in black upper case letters "VILA DE ALCÁCER DO
António Martins, 20 Sep 1998
Plain (monocolored) portuguese subnational flags are
not allowed to have armless
variations: plain flags always carry the coat of arms.
Jorge Candeias, 18 Jul 1999
Alcácer do Sal municipality had 14 050 inhabitants in 1990, and it is
divided in 6 communes, covering 1040 km2. It belongs to the
Setúbal District and to the old province of
António Martins, 20 Sep 1998 and 06 Aug 2001
The name means «Fortress of the Salt».
Sérgio Horta, 17 Jun 2002
Kasser in Arabic is more a palace then a fortress.
Dov Gutterman, 17 Jun 2002
Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.