Last modified: 2006-06-24 by jarig bakker
Keywords: chorzow |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Chorzˇw is a city county without a corresponding land county. Flag adopted:
22 June 1938. Source: Flaga 7. Chorzˇw is a manufacturing and mining
city 10 km NNW of Katowice with (1981) 149.649 inhabitants. Chorzow or
Chorzˇw Stary was the name of the old village, founded in 1257. In 1791
the Germans opened a coalmine 'K÷nig', and nearby founded a settlement
'K÷nigshŘtte', aka 'Nowy Chorzˇw', also known as 'Krˇlewska Huta'. In 1922 'K÷nigshŘtte'
was ceded to Poland, renamed 'Krˇlewska Huta'; in 1934 an agglomeration
was formed by fusion of the communes of Chorzˇw, Hajduki Nowe, and Krˇlewska
Huta, and renamed 'Chorzˇw', and it retained that name since then.
Gunnar Staack, 22 Dec 2000
In April 1936 the city council of Chorzˇw organized a competition to
get a new Coat of Arms. Many proposals were sent in, and the one from the
Department of History of the Jagiellonian University was selected. Designer
was Jan Czarnecki, the son of a teacher from Chorzˇw. It was confirmed
as city coat of arms on 14 June 1938. The coat of arms consists of two fields and reminds
of the coats of arms of old Upper Silesian towns. The right field has a golden eagle,
its head turned to the right, on a blue background. The left field has a
double cross, with at the end spread arms on a black background. The eagle
of the Upper Silesian Piasts reminds of the fact that the village of Chorzˇw
was presented in 1257 to the Miechowite monastery by Prince Władysław of Opole. After the adoption of the coat of arms the city council adopted as city colors
blue and red.
Source: the Chorzow homepage.
Jarig Bakker, 26 Dec 2000