Last modified: 2006-07-28 by jarig bakker
Keywords: miechow |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Miechow County (voj. Malopolskie). Flag adopted 15 Nov 1999
Source: FLAGA - Biuletyn Polskiego Towarzystwa Weksylologicznego Nr.13/14 (2001)
Jens Pattke, 31 Oct 2001
Miechˇw is a city in Malopolskie Voivodship, about 40 km north of Cracow.
It is a seat of a county (Powiat Miechowski).
The flag and Coat of Arms of Miechow County (Powiat Miechowski) were adopted by the County Council on November 15, 1999. They were designed by heraldic experts of Jagiellonian University in Cracow, Zenon Piech and Wojciech Drelicharz.
The Coat of Arms of Miechow County is in field gules, eagle argent turned left, crown, claws, beak and tongue or, with double cross gules on its breast, standing on two crossed sables pointed upwards, argents, with handles or. The eagle is based on the eagle from the banner used during the Kosciuszko insurrection of 1794. The sables are to commemorate the insurgent and patriotic tradition of the area. The double cross stands for the Order of the Holy Sepulchre, as in Miechow there is a famous cloister of that order.
The flag of Miechow County consists of three horizontal parallel bends:
white, yellow and red, of different width (2/5, 1/5, 2/5). The colours
are those of Malopolskie Voivodship. Together with other county flags of
Malopolskie Voivodship (e.g. Nowy Targ) it constitutes a modern flag system.
In the middle of the flag there is a Coat of Arms of the county.
Bartek Kachniarz, 6 Nov 2000