Last modified: 2002-06-28 by jarig bakker
Keywords: lasin |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Description of the flag: Three parallel horizontal bends of equal breadth:
red, white and black. In the middle of white belt is the coat of arms.
Meaning: The colours of the flag are taken from the medieval coat of arms of the governor.
CoA: On field gules, head of St, John and a chalice or. On both sides of the chalice, oak trees vert. St. John isn't John the Baptist but John the Evangelist. This is because the city used to be poperty of nearby Benedictine abbey in Mogilno. Usually, St. John the Evangelist is symbolised by an eagle. Sometimes, however, he was represented by a chalice. Oak trees stand for the forests of the area.
The flag was introduced on the 700th anniversary of raising Łasin to the status of a city. The flag was accepted by the City Council on January 27th 1998. Łasin is c. 70 km south of Gdansk.
Bartek Kachniarz, 28 Aug 2000
Łasin: ca. 3300 inhabitants, today in Grudziądz county, in the Cuiavia-Pomeranian
region. A town since 1306, but reverted in 1830 to a village and raised
again in 1886. In Poland since the Toruń Treaty of 1466. German name: Lessen.
Gwidon S. Naskrent, 6 Sept 2000