Last modified: 2006-07-28 by jarig bakker
Keywords: klodzko | nowa ruda |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
This is the Kłodzko County Flag for civil usage. Flag adopted 28 Mar
Source: FLAGA - Biuletyn Polskiego Towarzystwa Weksylologicznego Nr.13/14 (2001)
Jens Pattke, 23 Oct 2001
Kladsko / Klodzko/Glatz/ Glacium, Glazensis
Historical territory in southern Poland, on a Czech boundaries (between Bohemia, partially Moravia and Czech Silezia). Area ca. 1600 square kilometres.
From 10. Century part of Czech State of the Premyslides (Duke Boleslav II Pobozný/The Pious). In 11. Cent. was this area an administrative borough of the Kladsko Castle ("hradský správní obvod" - perhaps Royal Borough?). In 1093 given as a fief to Piast Family, then for certain period of time ruled by Dukes of Opole. During rule of the King Premysl Otakar II. (of Bohemia) western part of Kladsko Territory joined Bohemia (today northern part of Náchod district with Broumov Town*-) and the rest was colonised by German settlers. Kladsko had special statute - its nobility wasn't part of Bohemian noble community, but it was subject to Kladsko Castle (to local burgrave / in Czech purkrabí, in German Burggraf). From 1278 ruled by Dukes of Wróclaw (Vratislav/Breslau), 1290 by Dukes of Swidnica (Svídnice/Schweidnitz), 1301 by Dukes of Minstrberk (Münsterberg, today Ziebice, Poland). Duke Boleslav II of Minsterberk sold Kladsko back to Kingdom of Bohemia.
1454 this territory was acquired by George of Podebrady, elected King
of Bohemia and gave it to his sons. They were born before his royal election,
that's why they were not entitled to inherit the throne. King made them
Dukes of Minstrberk (Minstrberk Branch of Piasts was extinct) and Kladsko
was in 1462 made County (Hrabství Kladské/ /Hrabstwo Klódzkie / Grafschaft
Glatz). According to privileges from 1472 and 1578 should this County never
be separated from Bohemia. But in 1500 it was bought by Duke Charles I
of Minsterberk from his brother Count Albert and gave it to their Sister
Zdenka (Sidonia), Countess of Hardegg. A nephew of her husband sold it
back to Bohemia, the King Ferdinand II gave it to the archbishop of Salzburg;
after the archbishop's death Ferdinand gave it to his brother Karl of Austria,
bishop of Wróclaw (in German Breslau). Till the First Silezian War again
part of Bohenia, in 1742 (Peace of Breslau) finally lost. Between 1742
and 1945 part of Prussian Province Silezia (Landkreise Glatz and Habelschwert/Bystrzyca
Klódzka). King of Prussia had also the title of Coutn of Glatz. From
1945 - district of Poland.
Source: PhDr. František Honzák, PhDr. Marek Pecenka, Ph. Dr. Jitka Vcková - EVROPA V PROMENÁCH STALETÍ, first edition, Nakladatelství LIBRI, Prague 1995.
Near Bohemian border ( western border of modern district or county) still lives (?) small Czech minority. The flag of district (county) is a Banner of Arms. The town bear symbol of Royal town. Its arms are the Bohemian lion.
Source: This website.
Ales Krizan, 7 Nov 2001
Nowa Ruda is in Kłodzko county SE of Wałbrzych with (1981) 39.067 inhabitants;
German name: Neurode in Schlesien. Flag adopted: 1996. Founded in 14th
century; formerly in Silesia, Germany.
Gunnar Staack, 1 Nov 2000