Last modified: 2006-06-24 by phil nelson
Keywords: church of norway | cross | st. olav axe |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Jan Oskar Engene, 31 May 2006
is an article about the Bishop of Oslo and an
accompanying photo showing a red flag with a gold
cross botonny superimposed on two axes. Wikipedia
calls that design the crest [sic] of the Church of
Ned Smith, 30 May 2006
Alexander von Volborth in his 'Heraldry of the World' (1973) [vvb73]
gives the arms of Olav Engelbrektson (1480-1538), last Catholic
archbishop of Norway. Quarters 1 and 4 contain the above arms,
however, the cross is silver (p. 138, ill. no. 749).
Jan Mertens, 30 May 2006
The arms and flag of the Church of Norway were approved by the Crown Prince Regent's Resolution of 28. September 1990. The official government adoption (by the Crown Prince Regent in state council because of HM King Olav's illness at the time) reflects that the Church of Norway is a established or state church, the Evangelical Lutheran religion being the official state religion according to the constitution and with the King as the head of the church.
The arms and flag had been in unofficial use before the formal adoption in 1990. The emblem was recommended by the bishop's conference as early as 1922 and 1923 and again in 1963 and 1965. The design is by heraldist Hallvard Trętteberg and is based on the emblem used by (Catholic) archbishops of Nidaros in the first part of the 1500's. The emblem combines the Christian cross with the axe of St. Olav, the patron saint of Norway.
In anticipation of approval by royal resolution regulations on the use of
the arms of the Church of Norway were adopted by the Church Council on 8.
June 1990. In these regulations the ratio of the flag is defined as 1 : 1,2
- or in other words 5 : 6. The regulations are available at
Jan Oskar Engene, 31 May 2006