Last modified: 2003-11-08 by jarig bakker
Keywords: vlist |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipal arms of Vlist were designed by Mr. C. Schoute and Mr.
D. de Bruin. It consists of a green shield with a white diagonal wavy stripe
- the meadow landscape through which the brook "Vlist" meanders. Top right
is the castle of Haastrecht, while bottom left the cheeses of Stolwijk
are presented, all in gold. The cheeses of the original Stolwijk municipal
arms were red, probably because of the method of conservation (cf. the
Edammer cheeses). At present most cheeses are yellow. The towers of Haastrecht
correspond with a cast of 1433, present in the collection of the High Council
The present municipality of Vlist (Zuid-Holland) was formed on 1 Jan
1985 by the merger of Haastrecht, Stolwijk, and Vlist. The old municipality
of Vlist had 600 inhabitants, living peacefully along the meandering Vlist
river, in the Lopikerwaard and Krimpenerwaard (both polders), between Gouda
and Schoonhoven. It consisted of Vlist village (seat) and the hamlet of
Bonrepas (or Boenderpas as it was locally known). According to tradition
that name reminds of the Count of Blois, who needed all products of this
former lordship for one good feastmeal (repas, that's French)
There is no description of the old Vlist flag. Tree, hearts and bird are from the old municipal arms, while the blue meander symbolizes the mighty Vlist river. Adoption date unknown.
Source: Derkwillem Visser's "Gemeentewapens en vlaggen Koninkrijk der Nederlanden", 2001.
Jarig Bakker, 3 Nov 2003