Last modified: 2004-11-06 by jarig bakker
Keywords: hoofdplaat |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Jarig Bakker, 27 Oct 2004
proposal by A.J. Beenhakker, c.1970
CoA: "per fes: 1 per pale a. Zeeland; b. gules, charged with a lion
rampant or, holding in its right forepaw a lifted sword, in the left forpaw
a bundle of arrows; 2. argent charged with a ship sinking in a furious
sea, all in natural colors."
The arms consist of the arms of Zeeland, the States-General and a symbol for the bad situation in which the municipality was (loss of soil by inundations)
In a treaty from 1775 about the diking of the later Hoofdplaat, it was agreed that 3/5 of the polder would be governed by Zeeland and the remainder would become "generaliteitslanden", directly governed by the States General (of the Dutch Republic). The Zeeland part was later elevated to the Lordship Partange, which had a silver shield with in the first quarter the arms of Zeeland.
In the 14th century it was a marshy area, which was surrounded by dikes, but totally lost to the water until 1775/76. In the time of the French occupation a lot of land was lost, and in 1840 only 1/3 was left.
Jarig Bakker, 27 Oct 2004