This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Vlieland (The Netherlands)
Last modified: 2003-11-08 by jarig bakker
Keywords: vlieland |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.shipmate.nl/flags.htm
adopted 29 July 1938.
Population (1 Jan 2003): 1.240; area: 320,50 km². Settlements: Oost-Vlieland.
Vlieland (Frisian: Flylân) is one of the Frisian Wadden islands.
It is 20 km long and 2.5 km wide. Vlieland was first mentioned in the 12th
century. Its time of glory was in the 17th century, when there were 700
houses, among which those of the admirals Tromp and De Ruyter. Fishing,
especially whaling was important. The village of West-Vlieland, which had
3000 inhabitants in the 17th century, was swallowed by the sea between
1720-50.. Until 1811 Vlieland had its own judiciary powers; the last death
penalty was executed in 1807. Of old Vlieland belonged to the province
of Noord-Holland; in WWII it was assigned to Fryslân; this was confirmed
by the Dutch government in 1951. At present it is the most peacful Waddeneiland,
as no cars are allowed; at the same time it is unfoirtunately used by the
Dutch Airforce for targetpractice and low-flying acrobatics.
On 29 July 1938 a flag seagreen over white was adopted. Proportions:
1:2, but also 2:3 (the usual size of Dutch flags). This flag was already
shown on flagcharts of the 18th and 19th century, although other flagcharts
of the same time give a flag of Vlieland and Terschelling
Mark Sensen, 25 April 1998
from this webpage.
Granted 16 May 1958.