Last modified: 2005-08-11 by jarig bakker
Keywords: zuilen | columns |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Jarig Bakker, 24 Apr 2005
Adopted Spring 2001, design: H. van Heijningen
The village of Zuilen, or Oud-Zuilen is south of the city ward, and
has a very glorious past, as it was already completely demolished in 838;
in the 12th century it was owned by the Abbey (of Utrecht), later by Frank
van Borssele; in 1672 headquarters of Maarschalk Condé, and known
by the romance of James Boswell and Belle van Zuylen.
The etymology of "Zuilen" is not known, but most probably it has nothing to do with columns.
Source: Vexilla Nostra 237 (2003), p. 48.
Van Goor's Aardrijkskundig Woordenboek van Nederland, 1968.
Jarig Bakker, 24 Apr 2005
The form of the column is based on the book "Zuilen" by J.E.A.L.
Struick. The original arms had "wild men" as supporters, as can be
seen in a leaded window in the former municipal hall of Zuilen. It is the
arms of the Van Zuylen family (without supporters); the oldest known image
is from the "Wapenboek Gelre" (14th century). The lords of Suylen originated
in Sulen near Cleve (Germany). Because the Rhine shifted its bed that village
has disappeared. In 1247 is the first mention of the Castle of Zuylen (Huys
te Suylen). Before that the settlement was known as Zwesen. The lords
of Zuilen were officially "Heer van Zuilen-en-Sweserengh". Sweserengh
is the present ward of Zuilen in the city of Utrecht.
Arnold Rog, 8 Aug 2005
Arms: gules three columns argent