This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Tegelen (The Netherlands)
Venlo municipality, Limburg
Last modified: 2003-05-02 by jarig bakker
Keywords: tegelen | lion |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.shipmate.nl/flags.htm
Tegelen flag (1991-2000)
The history of Tegelen goes back 2 million years. The deposits of clay
and other minerals are the basis of it's existence today. The Romans discovered
the brown - yellow gold, and gave Tegelen it's name Tegula (roof tile).
For the first period after that it is only known that kilns stood here
for the manufacture of bricks, roof tiles and tiles. It is also said that
the name had something to do with the word "Tichelen" - which means to
manufacture bricks. Till 1817 Tegelen belonged to the "hertogdom Gülick
(Prussia)", and was swapped with Germany for Herzogenrath (near Kerkrade).
Since August 1991 Tegelen has a new flag, the old one was a horizontal
tricolour in the colours red, yellow and black. Although these colours
were derived from the municipal CoA it looked to much like the German (or
Belgium) national flag, and the council decided to instruct a vexillologist
from Utrecht Drs. J.F. van Heijningen to design a new flag. The new flag
consists of a yellow and a red field, divided diagonally from the left
bottom to the right top. This diagonal dividing line symbolises, according
to tradition Saint Martin, it also represents the rise in altitude in our
municipality, from 20 M above sea level at the river Maas, till 50 M above
sea level at the German border. Pontifically in the middle we see the silhouette
of the Gülick Lion, and is also found back in the CoA.
On 31 December 2000 Tegelen ceased to be an independent municipality,
and 1 January it merged with the municipality of Venlo.
Source: Tegelen Municipality information booklet 2000 - 2001.
Franc Van Diest, 24 February 2001
Historical Tegelen flag (1955-1991)
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.shipmate.nl/flags.htm.
Three equally wide horizontal stripes of red, yellow and black.
This flag was was instituted by municipal resolution of 29 Sep 1955.
The colors are derived from the municipal CoA (See Ralf
Hartemink's site). Abolished 24 Apr 1991.
Source: Sierksma's Nederlands vlaggenboek, 1962 [sie62]
Jarig Bakker, 30 Apr 2003