This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Hummelo en Keppel (The Netherlands)
Last modified: 2003-07-05 by jarig bakker
Keywords: hummelo en keppel |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.shipmate.nl/flags.htm
adopted 24 Mar 1981
Hummelo en Keppel municipality
Number of inhabitants (1 Jan 2003): 4.494; area: 43,16 km². Settlements:
Hoog-Keppel (seat), Achter-Drempt, Eldrik, Hummelo, Laag-Keppel, Voor-Drempt.
This municipality is in central Gelderland, c. 10 km northwest of Doetinchem.
The municipal seat is in Hoog Keppel (not to be confused with Laag Keppel
- there is no village called Keppel, BTW). In Hummelo there are (were?)
several stately farms with Russian names, reminding of the function of
an old inhabitant at the Russian court (early 19th century).
The flag was adopted 24 Mar 1981 by municipal resolution.
Description: proportioned 2:3, with a white field and towards the hoist
two red shells and beside it at half length anothet red shell.
This positioning of the shells was chosen because it was assumed that
when the flag was flying the hoist-part was most visible.
The three shells on the flag are derived from the municipal CoA. They
are 'St Jakobsschelpen' - St. James shells (Pecten jacobaeus). In the Middle
Ages this was proof that someone had made the pilgrimage to Santiago de
Compostela. As this was the CoA of the family van Palland of Keppel Manor
one of the van Pallands may have taken it to this place.
Jarig Bakker, 3 October 1999
Hummelo en Keppel CoA
image from the municipal site.
Granted 10 Jun 1870.