This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Siegerswoude (The Netherlands)
Opsterland municipality, Fryslân province
Last modified: 2003-09-27 by jarig bakker
Keywords: siegerswoude |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
by Jarig Bakker, 15 Sep 2003
design: Mr. Jelle Terluin.
Siegerswoude (Frisian: Sigerswâld) is a village in Opsterland municipality,
Fryslân province. Population (1958) 1006; (1974) 856. It includes
the hamlet Voorwerk. The monastery of Smalle Ee had a "uithof" (outlying
court - I suppose a peat-exploitation enterprise) here. North of the village
was the Siegerswouder Meer, a lake, now dry.
Nickname: none. (which is all well, as it is in the last line of defence
against our mortal enemies: the Grunningers)
Siegerswoude CoA: per fess of red and blue, with on the dividing line
a narrowed fess of silver; in chief a scythe pointing right, and the sharp
edge upward; in base four peatblocks, placed 1,2,1, all of silver.
Flag: Seychelles-like with three diagonal divisions of red, white and
blue; in the canton four white peatblocks placed 1,2,1.
The territory of Siegerswoude was cut in two by the Drachtster Compagnievaart
(canal). That canal is now filled up and used as a road. The bar in the
arms symbolize canal and road. Both parts of Siegerswoude have its own
A. The high lying part with the old church (now the churchyard). In
the CoA that is the red part, representing the former heather, and the
scythe as symbol of agriculture and cattlebreeding.
B. The low lying part, where in the Middle Ages peat was dug by monks
of the monastery at Smalle Ee. The blue color refers to the water here,
like the Siegerswouder Meer, the Mieuwemeer, and the Waas-meer. The
four peatblocks have been placed crosswise, to remind of the "uithof"
in the hamlet Voorwerk of the Smalle Ee monastery.
Design: J.C. Terluin
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje (n.d.).
De Woudklank (local newspaper), 13 Aug 1998.
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958.
Jarig Bakker, 15 Sep 2003
from De Woudklank (local newspaper) 13 Aug 1998.