This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Parrega (The Netherlands)
Wûnseradiel municipality, Fryslân province
Last modified: 2005-04-16 by jarig bakker
Keywords: parrega |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.shipmate.nl/flags.htm
adopted 19 Apr 1955; design: Kl. Sierksma
Parrega (Frisian: Parregea) had (1958) 658; (1974) 482 inhabitants. It
is long village along the canal Bolsward-Workum, with the hamlets Angtrep,
Zuidend, and Indijk. It is known for cattlebreeding; formerly fishing was
going on in the former Parregaaster- and Workumermeer (made dry 1876-1879).
The resulting Parregaaster polder is 2 meters below sealevel.
Nickname: "Marbotten" (lakeflounders), "Moddergatten"
(mudholes), "Modderkluten" (mudclumps) - referring to the old fishing
practices and the bad habit of Parregeasters of agriculture to make a living
(in this mainly grassy region).
Parrega CoA: per fess 1. the Frisian eagle, black on gold; 2. black
charged with three silver fishes with red fins, placed on top of each other.
In this village is on the church-choir a wheathervane charged with
the village-arms. That is with the Frisian half-eagle (put wrongly on the
shield) and three fishes on to of each other. The fishes symbolize the
old fishing on the Parregaastermeer. The Frisian half-eagle occurs frequently
in Fryslân, such as on the Workumer CoA, which may explain the occurence
on the arms of nearby Parrega. The colors are unknown, but have been derived
form the arms. The three waterlilyleaves ("pompebledden") represent
the old lakes made dry. The clovers point at the cattlebreeding, which
nowadays is the most important livelyhood.
CoA and flag can also be admired at this
Source: "It Beaken", Magazine of the Frisian Academy, Dec 1969.
Encyclopedie van Friesland 1958.
Groot Schimpnamenboek van Nederland, by Dirk van der Heide, 1998.
Jarig Bakker, 28 Sep 2003
from "It Beaken", Magazine of the Frisian Academy, Dec 1969.