This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Lippenhuizen (The Netherlands)
Opsterland municipality, Fryslân province
Last modified: 2003-10-04 by jarig bakker
Keywords: lippenhuizen |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
by Jarig Bakker, 17 Sep 2003
adopted 1991; Design: J.C. Terluin.
Lippenhuizen (Frisian: Lippenhuzen) is a village in Opsterland, Fryslân
province, with (1958) 1233; (1973): 1115; (2000): 1283 inhabitants. The
villagename is derived from the Luppinga-family; in the Middel Ages it
was also called "Kobunderhuzen". It is a long village; the village
center was already present in 1622. Formerly there was a courthouse here.
In the village one can admire the collection of archeological finds by
H. v.d. Vliet (mind your head!).
Lippenhuizen CoA: in red three golden erased trees, of which the central
one is the largest; over all a green fiagonal cross bar charged with a
bee between two grains of buckwheat in the dierction of the diagonal, all
Flag: seven equally wide horizontal stripes of red and yellow, with
a square green canton charged with e yellow bee.
The CoA of Lippenhuizen was designed in 1989.Trees symbolize law administration;
in Opsterland there were two village with a "rechthuis": Beetsterzwaag
for the north, and Lippenhuizen for the south. The red color represents
the heather, while the gold/yellow points at the sandy soil. Lippenhuizen
is built on the southern sandy ridge of Opsterland.
The green diagonal bar symbolizes the peat-canals near the village.
Buckwheat was formerly grown on the poor hethergrounds; the two grains
symbolize that; the bee reminds of beekeeping on the heather.
In the flag the three yellow stripes remind of the three peat-canals
near the village through the heather country. The flag is a
simplification of the arms.
Design: J.C. Terluin.
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje 1991.
De Woudklank (local newspaper), 6 Aug 1998.
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958.
Jarig Bakker, 17 Sep 2003
from De Woudklank (local newspaper), 6 Aug 1998.