This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Frieschepalen (The Netherlands)
Opsterland municipality, Fryslân province
Last modified: 2003-10-04 by jarig bakker
Keywords: frieschepalen |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
by Jarig Bakker, 15 Sep 2003
Design: J.C. Terluin.
Frieschepalen (Frisian: Fryskepeallen) is a village in Opsterland
municipality, Fryslân province, with (1958) 816; (1974) 708; (2000)
986 inhabitants. It became a village after WWII; before that it belonged
to Ureterp. It was founded as a peat-digging
colony after 1650 along the Drachtster Compagnievaart (canal). In 1593
the "schans" (small fort) of Frieschepalen was built on the orders of the
Frisian "stadhouder" Willem Lodewijk, aka "Ús Heit".
This ultimate defense against our mortal enemies, the Grunningers, was
pulled down. The name of the village refers to the boundary marks separating
Fryslân from Groningen province.
Frieschepalen CoA: lowered turned chevronwise divided by a "schansdwinger"
(?) of green; A. in chief two silver pales each charged with two red waterlilyleaves;
per pale of ten pieces gold and red.
Flag: towards the hoist five stripes of yellow and red; the "schansdwinger"
is green; the fly has three stripes of bluie and yellow,
with on yellow two red peatblocks.
The main element in flag and CoA is the "schans", constructed
to prevent the Spaniards to enter Fryslân. The Frisian territory
is reflected in the colors of the Frisian fl;ag on the CoA. The diagonal
stripes of the Frisian flag have here been put vertical, to accentuate
the name of the village, whereby it more or less becomes canting.. The
part of the arms below the "schansdwinger" is colored gold and red,
The flag is a simplification of the arms. The "pompebledden"
are replaced by two peatblocks, to remind of the peat-digging along the
Design: J.C. Terluin
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje 1995.
De Woudklank (local newspaper), 20 Aug 1998.
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958.
Jarig Bakker, 15 Sep 2003
from De Woudklank (local newspaper), 20 Aug 1998.