This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Easterlittens (The Netherlands)
Littenseradiel municipality, Fryslân province
Last modified: 2003-09-13 by jarig bakker
Keywords: easterlittens |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
by Jarig Bakker, 8 Sep 2003
adopted 1999; Design: J.C. Terluin and R.J. Broersma..
Easterlittens village (Oosterlittens)
Easterlittens (colloquially known as Littens, Dutch: Oosterlittens), a
village in Littenseradiel municipality, Fryslân. It used to be in
the former municipality of Baarderadeel.
Population: (1958): 566; (1974): 487. The church of Easterlittens dates
from the 12th century. Balthasar Bekker (1634-1696) was a vicar here from
1655-1666; his wife and four children are buried here. Bekker was fighting
the witchhunt raging in Europe in the 17th century. His book "De Betoverde
Wereld" (The Enchanted World) (1691/93) had a major impact on the abolishment
of the weird practices of burning witches, etc. Easterlittens is mostly
known for the tale of "It pealtsje fan Easterlittens", see the Littenseradiel
In the 17th/18th century a pig-market was held here. The number of
pubs in 1629 was quite impressive, but the authorities decided that the
number ought to be reduced to only one. Only the respectable tavern "Húlkenstein"
remained, a "waterherberg", where skippers and the people who had
to pull the ships could enjoy a glass of Coca Cola. Alas, in 1932 Hulkenstein
was pulled down, and there's no disco in sight :-(
Nickname: "Ropeinen" (decoy-ducks), "Einepiken" (ducklings)
(curious: no duck-cages to be found there)
Easterlittens CoA: divided 1. in silver a blue St. Andrews cross. II.
in red a golden peg; in base charged with a black pot and in the red on
both sides heightened with a golden penny.
Flag: a red hoist of 1/3 flaglength, charged with from top to bottom
a penny of 1/5 flagheight, a pot of 2/5 flagheight, and a penny of 1/5
flagheight, all yellow; a white fly charged with a blue St. Andrews cross,
with arms with 1/5 flagheight.
Most of the symbols reflect the story of the peg, but the pennies also
refer to the old pig-market, and the customhouse of Hulkenstein, at the
junction of the Boalserter trekfeart and the Frjentserter feart (two canals).
That junction is represented in the chief of the arms. The colors are derived
from the CoA of Littenseradiel.
The flag has the same elements as the CoA.
Design: J.C. Terluin and R.J. Broersma.
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje 2001
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958
Baerderadiel: in Geakunde, 1977
Jarig Bakker, 8 Sep 2003
from Wapens en Flaggen fan Littenseradiel, booklet of the municipality.