This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Baaium (The Netherlands)
Littenseradiel municipality, Fryslân province
Last modified: 2003-09-13 by jarig bakker
Keywords: baaium |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
by Jarig Bakker, 10 Sep 2003
adopted 1999; Design: J.C. Terluin and R.J. Broersma..
Baaium village (Baijum)
Baaium (Dutch: Baijum) is a village in Littenseradiel municipality in Fryslân
province; it used to be in the former municipality of
Hennaarderadeel with (1958) 133; (1974)
110 inhabitants. It is on the road Dronrijp-Winsum, ESE of Franeker city.
In the middle ages there was a priory of Norbertine nuns (St. Michaelsberg
or Monnikeberg), founded 1186. It is known that in 1235 many bricks were
produced here. It was pulled down in 1580. In the old church of Baaium
was a big baptismal font, which can now be admired in the present churchportal,
hence the expression: "Sa great as de Baaiumer fonte" (as big as
the Baaiumer font).
Nickname: "Eartepotten" (pea-pots), "Eartefretters" (pea-eaters)
- the Baaiumer font was named by other villages "eartepot"; The
19th century writer Waling Dykstra said that the churchbell of Baaium was
very small and produced no stately galming noises, that's why that bell
was named a "eartepot".
The Belgian village of Gerdingen (Bree municipality, Maaseik arrondissement,
Limburg province) had inhabitants named
Baaium CoA: per fess a. in red three rectangular silver windows issuing
from the fess, each with a gothic rim, charged with a lying brick. b. in
blue a golden cornsheaf, placed in base, with on top two silver sheep's
Flag: two vertical stripes proportioned 1:2; the first stripe divided
in three vertical stripes of white and blue, with on blue a yellow
cornsheaf; the fly is red with a white gothic window issuing from the
hoist. with the point at 14/15 flaglength.
The top of the shield refers to the Baaiumer font, made of red sandstone.
The font has the form of a cube with on three sides each three niches,
symbolized in the gothic windows.
In the niches red bricks, reminding of the brick-production in the
Middle Ages. The cornsheaf symbolizes agriculture and the two sheep's head
cattle-breeding, and that the soil was so sound that the sheep didn't get
liver-rot. The blue color is from the municipal arms.
The flag is a simplification of the arms.
Design: J.C. Terluin and R.J. Broersma
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje 2001.
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958.
Groot Schimpnamenboek van Nederland, by Dirk van der Heide, 1998.
Jarig Bakker, 10 Sep 2003
from Wapens en Flaggen fan Littenseradiel, booklet of the municipality.