This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Allingawier (The Netherlands)
Wûnseradiel municipality, Fryslân province
Last modified: 2005-04-16 by jarig bakker
Keywords: allingawier |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.shipmate.nl/flags.htm
adopted 19 Apr 1955; design: Kl. Sierksma
Allingawier had (1958) 152; (1974) 102 inhabitants, a "terp" (mound)
village with two churches in 1958 - one may have been turned into something
else, like an exhibition-center.
Nickname: "Ljochten" (lights), signififying that the Allingawiersters
were known as being very clever (but any Exmoarster knew that they were
no great lights).
Allingawier CoA: in silver a black facing cow's head with a white spot
on its forehead and red tongue, with three waterlilyleaves placed 2:1.
The cow's head reminds of the "Izeren Kou" (iron cow), which
was present after the Reformation, and has been present in the vicarage,
with ritual meaning, a.o. for funerals. At the same time it symbolizes
<This may be the origin of the statue of the cow in Leeuwarden,
"Ús Mem" (our mother) in Leeuwarden - Fryslân without
the Frisian cows is unimaginable>.
Source: "It Beaken", magazine of the Fryske Akademie, Dec 1969.
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958.
Jarig Bakker, 28 Sep 2003
from "It Beaken", magazine of the Fryske Akademie, Dec 1969.