Last modified: 2004-12-29 by santiago dotor
Keywords: ra'anana | iriyat ra'anana | text: hebrew (white) | tree: silhouette (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Dov Gutterman | 2:3
Emblem adopted 14th May 1964
Details about the emblem of Ra'anana from their website:
Raanana's emblem was designed in 1963 by Yeshayahu Ben Yelid, a native of the "Moshava", Raanana's original settlement. According to a newspaper article of that era: "The emblem represents the tree which spreads its fruits in different directions, as a symbol of the burgeoning industrial plants. The emblem exemplifies the settlement's economic roots, and its growth and development in recent years."The emblem that appears on the flag is the Hebrew version here.
In the center of the emblem, we see the water tower, which is situated above a pool of water, symbolizing the three water towers which were built during the days of the early settlement. These three pools, and the water towers above them, stand to this day: one is in the center of town, within the compound of the municipal offices, the second on Beit Hashoeva Street in the western section of the city, and the third is located on Harav Efraim Street, in the eastern section of the city. Above the greenery, we see the roofs and chimneys of the industrial plants, which give expression to the integration of agriculture (water towers, the citrus tree) with industry.
In 1989, the emblem was revised by Raanana graphic artist, Nava Porat, and the slogan "Raanana - The Jewel of the Sharon", which was composed by city spokeswoman Peri Nativ, was added.
Dov Gutterman, 7 March 2001
Ra'anana, situated in the south of the Sharon area, west to Kfar Saba and east to Herzliya was established in 1922 and has 65,000 inh.
The unofficial flag is orange with the municipal emblem in white. Orange is used by many local authorities in the Sharon area, including its so-called capital, Netanya. It is the colour of the Sharon area main product and symbol, Jaffa oranges. The municipal emblem was published in the official gazette (Rashumot), YP 1090, 14 May 1964, for the then Local Council. It was not replaced when it became a municipality, therefore the emblem should be regarded as currently unofficial. Sources: author's own observation, 6 September 2001; municipal website.
Dov Gutterman, 12 September 2001