Last modified: 2004-12-29 by santiago dotor
Keywords: ramla | iriyat ramla | text: hebrew (white) | coat of arms (cogwheel: white) | coat of arms (olive branch: white) | coat of arms (star: white outlined) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Dov Gutterman
Coat-of-arms adopted 13th November 1958
Ramla (from the Arabic word Raml, sand) is situated in the shore plain near Lod. It was established in 716 it is the only city that was first established during the Moslem era and has 65,000 inh. Ramla is the so-called capital of the Central District. Ramla's official emblem (published in Official Gazette Y.P. 633) is made up of a cogwheel (industry development as the major component in the city's economy), an olive branch (symbol of peace and brotherhood between the inhabitants and a reminder of the olive trees which were the major component of the economy in the past, Ramla being a major centre for olive-oil soaps) and a Magen David. The unofficial flag shows the emblem on an orange field. Sources: letter from Mr. Shmuel Kolishevski, City Clerk, 26 August 2001 and the municipal website.
Dov Gutterman, 29 August 2001
The municipal emblem was published in the official gazette (Rashumot), YP 633, 13 November 1958.
Dov Gutterman, 4 September 2001