Last modified: 2004-12-29 by santiago dotor
Keywords: nazareth ilit | iriyat nazareth ilit | text: hebrew (white) | coat of arms (cogwheel: black) | coat of arms (wall: black) | coat of arms (branches: laurel) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Dov Gutterman | 2:3
Coat-of-arms adopted 24th October 1974
Nazareth Ilit (pronounced Natzeret/Natzrat Ilit, meaning Upper Nazareth) is situated on the top of a mountain in Lower Galilee, over 500 m above sea level, near the city of Nazareth in the Lower Galilee, 38 km east of the port city of Haifa 30 km west of Tiberias, 110 km from Tel Aviv and 165 km from Jerusalem. Est. 1954, pop. 50,000. It is the so-called capital of the North District.
The unofficial flag shows the municipal emblem on purple, as can be seen behind the Mayor in this photograph. The municipal emblem was published in the official gazette (Rashumot), YP 2057, 24 October 1974. It replaced the previous emblem of the Local Council Nazareth Ilit, published YP 1277, 19 May 1966.
Dov Gutterman, 8 September 2001