Last modified: 2004-12-29 by santiago dotor
Keywords: ashqelon | iriyat ashqelon | coat of arms (column: proper) | coat of arms (stars: orange) | coat of arms (stars: 6) | coat of arms (cogwheel: grey) | text: hebrew (black) | text: hebrew (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Dov Gutterman
Coat-of-arms adopted 16th April 1959
The municipality of Ashqelon is situated in the southern shore plain about 55 km south of Tel Aviv. It is a very old city known from the biblical era, first mentioned in ancient Egyptian scrolls dating from 1900 BC. Ashqelon is also mentioned in the famous David's grief on Jonathan. It was re-established in 1948 and has 98,000 inh (July 1997).
The city has an official emblem and an unofficial flag, the emblem on an orange field. Source: letter from Mrs. D. Tzuriel, Events and Tourism Department, Municipality of Ashqelon. The emblem above was scanned from a postcard provided by her.
Dov Gutterman, 15 August 2001
The municipal emblem was published in the official gazette (Rashumot), YP 663, 16 April 1959.
Dov Gutterman, 4 September 2001