Last modified: 2004-12-29 by santiago dotor
Keywords: ashdod | iriyat ashdod | anchor (white) | text: hebrew (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Dov Gutterman | 2:3
Emblem adopted 16th January 1969
Ashdod is situated on the sea shore, 27 km south to Tel Aviv and is the main port of the area. Its name taken from the Bible (Joshua 15,20-47). Founded in 1956 and got a big boost when the port was built. Pop, 150,000. The unofficial municipal flag is blue with a white emblem. The municipal emblem was published in the official gazette (Rashumot, Yalkut ha-Pirsumim), YP 1499, 16 January 1969, to replace that of the former Local Council which had been published in YP 1001, 28 March 1963. Sources: author's own observation, 29 September 2001.
Dov Gutterman, 12 October 2001