Last modified: 2006-02-18 by dov gutterman
Keywords: pest | nagymaros | horse |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by István Molnár, 29 June 2001
Nagymaros (from 1996) is a small town on the left bank of the
Danube River, opposite the beautiful Visegrád
in the gate of the Duna-Ipoly National Park 50 km from Budapest.
The town has about 5,000 inhabitants. Nagymaros is located in
Nagymaros was a city in the Middle Ages, when Visegrád was one of the capitals of Hungary (14-15th century). In the time of the Turkish wars (1525-1699) and the Prince Rákóczi's War of Independence (1703-1711), Nagymaros lost its population. The Habsburgs colonized Nagymaros with Germans from Mainz and environs. More of them had been deported to Germany after the WW II.
In Nagymaros: Gothic-Baroque Roman Catholic Church, Kittenberger Collection, and beautiful view from the Hegyes-teto (means Pointed Peak) to the Danube Bend.
The flag - Blue and white with the coat of arms can be seen at <www.dunaweb.hu>.
István Molnár, 21 June 2000