Last modified: 2005-01-08 by dov gutterman
Keywords: fejer | gardony | sun |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Istvan Molnar, 3 Febuary 2001
Gárdony is a town in Fejér County in Hungary near to City of
Székesfehérvár (14 km east) in the southern beaches of the
Lake of Velence. The town has got 5.633 inhabitants (1990
census), all of them Hungarians. Neighbouring settlements are:
Sukoró, Pákozd, Seregélyes, Zichyújfalu, Pusztaszabolcs and
The first mention of the settlement is from the Ages of the Arpad Dinasty. In 1910 Gárdony was a village in the Székesfehérvár district of Fejér County. Number of its inhabitants in 1910: 2.174; 2.155 (99,1%) Hungarian and 19 (0,9%) other by mother tongue, 1.288 (59,2%) Roman Catholic, 832 (38,3%) Calvinist, 48 (2,2%) Jew and 6 (0,3%) other by religion. The famous celebrity of the settlement Géza Gárdonyi writer.
The image is made according to the decree of the settlement. The resolution of the symbols is the part of the resolution about the organizational and functional statues of the Town of Gárdony.
(1.) The official name of the community: Community of the Town of Gárdony
(2.) The office of the community: Mayor's Office of Gárdony (...)
(3.) The administrative territory of the communiy contains: Agárd, Dinnyés, Gárdony, Csiribpuszta, Pálmajor.
(1.) The Coat of Arms of the community: Shield divided by a wavy line. The upper side is blue, the bottom side is grey like graphite. In the bottom field there is a mace between four sedge's fibres and the wavy line - relate to the relationship between the settlement and the lake. In the blue field there is a great gold-yellow sun, the symbol of the important holiday resort in the country.
(2.) The flag of the community: Its colour is same as the colour of the sun in the Coat of Arms , in the middle of the flag there is the Coat of Arms , and over the Coat of Arms is the name: GÁRDONY with black letters.
Homepage of Gárdony: <www.gardony.hu>.
Istvan Molnar, 3 Febuary 2001
On 15 December, 1997, a part of the town, Zichyújfalu, left
Gárdony and became an independent village again.
Zoltán Turay, 5 January 2005
from <www.gardony.hu>, located by Istvan Molnar, 3 Febuary 2001