Buy State Flags from Allstate FlagsBuy US flags from Five Star Flags
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Bakonycsernye (Fejer, Hungary)

Bakonycsernye Község, Cerna

Last modified: 2003-07-05 by dov gutterman
Keywords: hungary | fejer | bakonycsernye | cerna |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

by Istvan Molnar, 5 March 2003

See also:


Bakonycsernye (in Slovakian: Cerna) is a village in Fejér county in Hungary near to Town of Mór (15 km west) in the Gaja Valley of the Bakony Mountains. The village has got 3189 inhabitants (2001 census), nearly all of them are Hungarian, only 38 (1,2%) Slovakian, 12 (0,4%) Gipsy and 7 (0,2%) German by ethnicity. Two of the Official Ethnic Minorities of Hungary has got ethnic council in the village: Slovaks and Gipsies. Neighbouring settlements are Súr,  Szápár, Jásd, Tés, Isztimér, Balinka and Nagyveleg villages.
The first mention of the settlement is from 1341, but some of the settlements on the nowadays territory of Csernye was mentioned earlier. The name of the settlement is Slav - Cerny means black. The villages were devastated at the time of the Turkish war. 1724-1726 Csernye was resettled with Lutheran Slovaks from Nyitra and Trencsén counties (now Slovakia). In 1910 Csernye was a village in the Zirc district of Veszprém County. Number of its inhabitants in 1910: 2054; 1832 (89,2%) Hungarian, 219 (10,7%) Slovakian and 3 (0,1%) other by mother tongue, 1543 (75,1%) Lutheran, 384 (18,7%) Roman Catholic, 90 (4,4%) Calvinist and 37 (1,8%) other by religion. After the WWII about 500 of the Slovakin inhabitants had moved to Slovakia. In 1956 the village was annexed to Fejér county
Symbolism of  the Coat of Arms: The hills relate to the Bakony Mountains, the castle on the hill relates to the medieval castle 'CSIKLINGVÁR' on the top of the hill. The seven starts relate to the medieval settlements on the territory of the villge, the silver vawy stripe relates to the Gaja brook and the oak branch relates to the forest of the Bakony Mountains. The CoA and the flag was adopted in 1997. The flag is white, on the center there is a CoA of the village. Ratio 2:3.
Sources: Photo taken by me in the Mayor's Office of the municipality. Historical datas and CoA from <>, <> and <>.
Istvan Molnar, 5 March 2003