Last modified: 2003-05-10 by dov gutterman
Keywords: asotthalom | hungary | csongrad | cross | lamb | turul | bird | atilla | sword | iris | crown |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Istvan Molnar, 8 March 2001
The flag of the city - Verical , CoA on white was located at
Dov Gutterman, 28 December 1998
Ásotthalom is a village in Csongrád County in Hungary near
to City of Szeged (33 km west). The
village has got 4.106 inhabitants (1990 census), all of them are
Hungarians. Neighbouring settlements are: Mórahalom,
Kelebia villages and Subotica / Szabadka community (Yugoslavia).
The settlement is a farmland with two larger center: Kissor
(Little Terrace) and Gátsor (Gát Terrace).
The territory of the settlement is inhabited from the Bronze Age. In the early Middle Ages many settlements were here. One of them was Átokháza, which was settled by Cumanian settlers in 1280. At the time of the Turkish wars the territory was devastated and became a part of Szeged City. The first mention of Ásotthalom as one territory of the farms on the territory of Szeged City is from 1778. In 1850 City of Szeged built a new farm in the center of nowadays settlement: Várostanya. Ásotthalom became a new independent settlement in 1950.
The flag and the CoA were adopted on 28. July 1997 by the Resolution No. 9/1997. (VII.17.) at <www.morahalom.hu>.
Description of the CoA of the village: The form of the standing shield divided into four parts relates to the satchel of herdsmen. In the left red field, in the silver thorn wreath there is a gold cross growing from the gold flames dartig up from a gold heart. This symbol relates to the living religious life of the community and the title of the church: 'The Holy Heart of Jesus Christ". In the right blue field there is a silver lamb, near it there is a black sheperd's crook stuck into the green field. These symbols relate to the occupation of the members of the settlements from the Hungarian Conquest to nowadays: the shepherding. Even the "Emperor and King" Francis-Joseph I. had eaten the meal cooked by the local sheperds. The lamb relates to the pastures leased by the City of Szeged. In the bottom left blue field, on the central higher hill of the green triplicate hills there is a black TURUL (bird) turned right looked at left and its wings are spread. In the right gold talon of the bird there is a silver sword with gold hilt. This symbol relates to the name of the settlement. Ásotthalom means 'Excavated Hill'. There was the seat of Atilla the Great King of the Huns by the legends and many people made excavations trying to find his jewels. The black TURUL was Atilla's symbol by the legends. In the right bottom red field there is a "sand iris" (?) relates to the flora of the settlement. The crown above the shield relates to the selfgovernment of the village.
Informations from the website of the settlement.
Istvan Molnar, 8 March 2001
by Istvan Molnar, 8 March 2001
from <www.csongrad-megye.hu>, located by Istvan Molnar