Last modified: 2006-03-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: guadeloupe | saint-barthelemy | ouanalao | fleur-de-lis: 3 (yellow) | maltese cross (white) | crowns: 3 (yellow) | pelicans: 2 | saint-barhtelemy yacht club |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Local flag of Saint-Barthélémy - Official status unknown - Image by Pascal Gross, 30 September 1998
The island of Saint-Barthélémy (25 sq. km, 6,858 inhabitants) is located ca. 200 km North-West of Guadeloupe (between Anguilla, St. Kitts and Antigua). It constitutes, along with the French part of Saint-Martin island, the arrondissement of Saint-Martin-Saint-Barthélémy.
Ivan Sache, 2 April 1999
On a tourist leaflet found by Armand du Payrat, the flag of Saint-Barthélémy is shown as white with the coat of arms in the middle.
Pascal Gross, 30 September 1998
On the coat of arms, the three fleurs-de-lis recall the fact that the island was French from 1648 to 1785 and has been so since 1878.
The Maltese Cross recalls that the island belonged to the Order of Malta (1651-1665).
The three crowns are for the Swedish rule on the island from 1785 to 1878.
The mural crown is the ancient symbol of the Greek gods protecting the cities; it was granted to the French cities during the First Empire.
The two pelicans represent the island fauna.
Ouanalao is the local name of the island.
Source: An heraldic postcard by Mireille Louis, ca. 1970.
Pascal Vagnat, 24 October 1998
Burgee of SBYC - Image by Ivan Sache, 19 May 2001
The burgee of the Saint-Barthélémy Yacht Club is quartered blue-red-red-blue with the initials S B Y C in white in the respective quarters.
Source: SBYC website
Ivan Sache, 19 May 2001