Last modified: 2006-03-18 by rob raeside
Keywords: brittany ferries | brocklebank | brussels steamship | bssco |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
from Stewart and Styring's Flags, Funnels and Hull Colors 1963
The company was founded in 1801 in Whitehaven (Lake District), with one sailing
ship trading coal. In 1813, the monopoly of the East India Company to India was
abolished, and India became Brocklebank's main field of operation, along with
Northern and Southern America, and West and East Indies. In 1819, the company
moved to Liverpool. It bought its first steamships in 1889 but carried on
operating sailing ships until 1901. After the Second World War, the company had
only eleven ships. In 1947, the independence of India and Pakistan imposed new
trade rules in the area, where Brocklebank's trade was more than halved. The
closure of the canal of the Suez Canal in 1967 and the containerization caused
the end of trade with India. In 1968, Brocklebank pooled its ships with Cunard
in the Cunard-Brocklebank Ltd. The last two ships under Brocklebank's flag were
sold in 1983, and it was the end of the company.
Source: The Ships Lists website
The house flag of Brocklebank was vertically divided white-blue. It can be seen on a medal kept in the National Maritime Museum in London. The medal commemorates the loss of SS Matra, mined and sunk by enemy action off Ramsgate on 13 November 1939.
Source: National Maritime Museum website http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/collectionsDetail.cfm?ID=MEC2776
Ivan Sache, 28 February 2004
image by Jarig Bakker
T & J Brocklebank, Ltd. was founded about 1770. Their first
houseflag was altered in 1820 to the one which flies today at the foremast. The
reason usually given for this is that many of Brocklebank's early vessels were
privateers, whose mainmasts were reserved for the letters-of-marque pennant, so
the houseflag was relegated to the fore. In books it is asserted that
Brocklebank's is the only houseflag worn thus - however Sandbach, Tinne & Co.
did it too.
Source: Loughran (1979) "A Survey of Mercantile Houseflags & Funnels"
Jarig Bakker, 28 February 2004
See also: British Privateers
Larousse Commercial Illustré (1930) shows Anchor Brocklebank &
Well Lines, Liverpool: vertically divided white-blue, white nearest the hoist.
On FOTW-ws under 'Thos. and Jon Brocklebank Ltd'. The company name Larousse
gives makes more sense if we know that Cunard purchased Brocklebank and Anchor
Line in 1911, followed by the Well Line in 1916.
Jan Mertens, 28 May 2004
image by Jarig Bakker, 11 November 2005
Bromley Shipping plc, Bromley - blue flag bordered white; stylized white "BS".
Source: Loughran (1995)
Jarig Bakker, 11 November 2005
image by Jarig Bakker
Bromport Steamship Company, Limited, Liverpool - blue flag, white 6-pointed
contoured star, with in center white "L", in all corners white "BSCL".
Source: Brown's Flags and Funnels of British and Foreign Steamship Companies [Wedge 1926]
Jarig Bakker, 20 February 2005
Bromport Steamship Co. Ltd. The company, which operated from 1916 to 1923, was a
subsidiary of Lever Brothers which presumably accounts for the extra "L".
Neale Rosanoski, 19 May 2005
image by James Dignan
Based on Sampson (1957)
James Dignan, 11 October 2003
This company was registered in London (Stewart & Styring,
1963). In 1954 the company appears to have had two coastal vessels: the
"City of Brussels" and the "City of London." But this is different from the
other more famous "City of Brussels" which was the first ship to cross the
Atlantic in 8 days (different owner, different era).
Phil Nelson, 12 October 2003