Last modified: 2006-03-18 by rob raeside
Keywords: northern ireland | castlereagh | hand (red) | cogwheel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The arms granted to the council in 1977 are Per chevron azure and Or in chief
two cogwheels of the last and in base a sinister hand appaumée couped gules.
The red hand in the base of the shield is taken from the O'Neill arms and records the early history of Castlereagh. The Caisleán Riabhach or "grey castle" that gives its name to the area was built about 1350 by Aodh Flann O'Neill. The castle and land was abandoned by the O'Neills in 1618 and the castle no longer exists. It should be noted that is a left hand, from the earliest form of O'Neill arms, rather than the more familiar right hand associated with Ulster. The cogwheels in chief represent modern industrial development in the Borough.
This flag is flown from council buildings every day in conjunction with the Union flag and that of Northern Ireland.
Laurence Jones, 1 August 2005