Last modified: 2004-07-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: emeraude |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Emeraude Lines is a French shipping company, which took a semi-English name since most of its activity is directed to the British Isles.
BCE (Les Bateaux de la Côte d'Emeraude), was founded in 1904. "Emerald Coast" is the name given to the coast of northern Brittany between Le Val-André and Cancale, encompassing Dinard and Saint-Malo. The BCE operated local lines in Normandy and Brittany and a ferry service between Saint-Malo and Dinard.
In 1969, a barrage with a power tidal station and a road was built on
the estuary of the river Rance, and the ferry line was suppressed.
BCE started to serve the Channel Islands in 1970, and inaugurated its
first fast catamaran Westmarin W86 in 1976. This kind of ship allowed
to open lines between Jersey, Sark and Guernsey. In 1977, Emeraude
Ferries Ltd. was incorporated as a subsidiary of BCE. A daily service
with Jersey (500 passengers and 50 cars) was opened.
The company took its current name Emeraude Lines in 1988, and was incorporated as a SA (LLC) in 1990. Emeraude Lines absorbed the local companies JPF (Portbail-Jersey line) in 1991 and SMCJ (Carteret-Jersey line) in 1992. It serves now nine ports in France and the Channel Islands.
Source: Emeraude Lines website
Ivan Sache, 11 December 2003
The "houseflag" shown on this page for Emeraude Lines is based on the logotype of the company (same source as above) and need to be confirmed.
Ivan Sache, 27 June 2004