Last modified: 2005-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: val-de-marne | cercle de la voile de la basse marne | chevron (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Ivan Sache
Cercle de la Voile de la Basse Marne is a yacht club based in
Créteil, in the lower (basse) valley of the river Marne, close to its
confluency with the Seine.
The today's clubhouse of CVBM was in the past a guinguette called L'Arche de Noé (Noah's Ark). The forerunner of CVBM was Société Nautique du Tour de Marne, which leased canoes and sailing boats to the happy customers of the guinguettes.
During the Second World War, the guinguette was inhabited by members of the anti-German resistance. In May 1944, it was the headquarters of the free corps Cristolus (the Latin name of Créteil), a branch of the movement Vengeance (Revenge), which was later incorporated to the 10th Infantry Division commanded by General Pierre Billotte and took part to the seizure of Hitler's Eagle's Nest in Berchtesgaden.
The burgee of the CVBM is blue with a white chevron and a red lozenge at hoist.
Source: CVBM website
Ivan Sache, 18 December 2004