Last modified: 2006-01-14 by santiago dotor
Keywords: navarre | historical |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The Diputación Provincial [provincial council] was an administrative body which dissappeared in the early 1980s in those Autonomous Communities which comprise only one province. Note that although the administrative body is now the Autonomous Community, the province still exists.
Antonio Gutiérrez, 18 November 1999
The former flag of Navarre region and/or province showed the Laureate Cross of Saint Ferdinand [the Spanish highest military decoration for valour] behind the coat-of-arms.
José Carlos Alegría, 22 November 1999
The region of Navarre (and province of Pamplona) had before 1916 a plain dark red flag; the coat-of-arms was added in 1916. Similar to the current design with minor changes in the shape of crown and shield. On November 8th 1937 a military decoration was added to the coat-of-arms [Laureate Cross of Saint Ferdinand]. In 1977 an unofficial dark red flag with chains (no coat-of-arms) was widely used. Horizontal red-yellow-green (5:2:1) was proposed by the governing party UCD [Unión de Centro Democrático, 1976-1982] but never adopted.
Jaume Ollé, 27 November 1999
The kingdom of Navarre used a red eagle, substituted on 1212 by the red chains wich still stand today as their coat of arms. On 16 July 1212 the king of Navarra, Sancho VII el Fuerte, took part in the battle of Las Navas de Tolosa, south of Spain, nowadays Jaén province, far from the boundaries of the kingdom, between the territories of Castile and Leon and the Moors, being invited by the Pope Inocentium III to join the Allied Coalition instaured by the Crusade along with Alonso VIII, who commanded Castile and Pedro II of Aragon, except Alfonso IX of Leon, against the Moorish King (Caliph or Emir) of the Almohad dinasty, known as Miramamolin. The Moorish king inspired an arabic coalition and camped on Las Navas de Tolosa, and had the royal tent surrounded by a gold chain, which, assaulted by Knights of Navarre, was seized and put into their new coat of arms.
Ramón Otegui, 5 September 2002