Last modified: 2006-02-18 by santiago dotor
Keywords: cisneros (cardinal) | oran | coat of arms: chequy (red-yellow) | coat of arms (cardinal) | fly: rounded | chequy (white-blue) | cross: burgundy | bordure: zigzag | flamed |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Sergio Camero
This flag was flown by Cardinal Cisneros during the conquest of Oran . It can be seen in the mural paintings of Toledo Cathedral's mozárabe chapel, painted by John of Burgundy in 1517.
Sergio Camero, translated by Santiago Dotor, 22 August 2001
by Sergio Camero
This and other many flags of this campaign can be observed in the tapestries made by Wilhelm Pannmaker upon drawings by Jan Cornelisz and Pieter Coek Aelst (1554). The flag has a rounded fly, as was common until the 16th century. Source: Antonio Manzano Lahoz, Las Banderas Históricas del Ejército Español.
Sergio Camero, 24 August and 1 October 2001
by Sergio Camero
This is a capitana flag [regimental colour] belonging to an infantry company of the Tercio Ambrosio de Spinola in 1621, during Philip III's reign. Source: Luis Esquiroz Medina, ¿Banderines o Guiones?.
Sergio Camero, 23-24 August 2001
image by Sergio Camero, 18 October 2002
This Regimental Colour (capitana flag) of Infantry belongs to the last period of the Spanish Hapsburgs. It can be seen being carried by a standard-bearer ensign in Francesco Rizzi's painting Auto de Fe en la Plaza Mayor de Madrid, Prado Museum, Madrid. Source: Calvo and Grávalos 1983 [cag83].
Sergio Camero, 18 October 2002
Francesco Rizzi's painting is shown online here.
Santiago Dotor, 1 February 2005
all three images by Sergio Camero
Capitana flags [regimental colours] of the Spanish infantry or Tercios, as used in 1693 during the reign of Charles II, last Hapsburg king of Spain. There is not a lot of information on its origin, but the flames that skirt the whole flag could indicate that it belonged to a Swiss Company in the service of Spain. Source: Luis Esquiroz Medina, ¿Banderines o Guiones?.
Sergio Camero, 27 August, 3 and 10 September 2001