Last modified: 2006-02-18 by dov gutterman
Keywords: kuressaare | saaremaa |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 28 January 2000
Adopted: June 1992. Ratio: 1:2. "Spanish pale" of
white - blue - white.
Jorge Candeias, 5 April 1999
"Kuressaare is a small and cosy town with a long history, rich in different events, located on the coast of the Livonian Bay. In written records Kuressaare (Arensburg) market town was first mentioned in 1424. Kuressaare was granted the city rights in 1563; thus the town will celebrate its 435th anniversary this year. During its long history the town has passed ups and downs. After a devastating campaign of the Russian troops in 1710, that was followed by a big fire and an outburst of plague, only 11 town citizens and 60 cotters families survived. The town stayed in a standstill for almost half a century. The situation turned for better at the end of the 18th century only. Construction activity was undertaken again, streets were repaired and trading enlivened. Discovering the curative sea mud in the vicinity of Kuressaare brought along a new developing direction for the town. Several Mud Treatment Establishments were constructed and Kuressaare gained the fame of a health resort. At the end of the 19th century a couple of thousand people arrived in Kuressaare every summer. During the post-war years the town started growing rapidly. Today the population of Kuressaare is 16,100 and there are about 2,200 houses in Kuressaare out of which 1,550 are detached houses. The area of Kuressaare is 15 sq. km today and 4 sq. km of the territory are covered with parks and woods. Today one of the main aims of the town is restoring its fame as a summer resort, lost during the Soviet period. We are in the process of reconstructing the swimming beach and marina; more attention is paid to the general weal in town. Kuressaare is moving towards its recognition as a Healthy City."
Dov Gutterman, 25 June 1999
Flag and coat of arms adopted for the first time on 12 January 1938.
Erki Kurrikoff, 15 April 2001
image from <www.kuressaare.tt.ee>, located by Dov Gutterman