Last modified: 2005-11-12 by bruce berry
Keywords: kenya | uganda | railways & harbours |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
On 3 December 1936 the Office of the High Commissioner for Transport,
at Government House, Nairobi wrote to the Colonial Office requesting a
Blue Ensign, defaced with the badge of the Administration, for its harbour
craft, lake steamers and headquarters in Nairobi.
Normally a Public Office in a colony would have used a Blue Ensign defaced with the badge of the colony. In this case however, under Orders in Council of 16 December 1925, 20 December 1927 and 13 August 1935, the working and management of the Kenya and Uganda Railway and Harbours Administration was vested in a High Commission for Transport, a 'Corporation Sole', consisting of officers administering the Governments of Kenya and Uganda acting jointly. Existing regulations did not cover two colonies having a joint administration; the vessels could not fly the Kenya Blue Ensign nor the Uganda Blue Ensign.
8 March 1937. After consulting the Admiralty the Colonial Office wrote to Nairobi that the badge on a Blue Ensign had been approved by the King for use on lake-steamers, harbour launches and the Administration Building in Mombassa. It was not approved for the headquarters in Nairobi where the badge should be set on a plain blue flag. "Port Authority" might be written on the ensign flown ashore in Mombassa.
An amendment plate, 20a, headed 'East Africa', was produced for the Colonial Office book 'Flags, Badges and Arms'. It included the note; 'No white circle. On Blue Ensign as shown'.
[National Archives (PRO) CO 323/1377/4.]
The badge was used until February 1949 when the Administration was also
made responsible for the railways and harbours in Tanganyika and its name
changed to East African Railways and Harbours Administration. A new
badge which combined the badges of Kenya, Uganda and Tanganyika was adopted.
David Prothero, 02 May 2003