Last modified: 2004-12-29 by santiago dotor
Keywords: landkreis sonthofen | sonthofen county | coat of arms: per pale (flower: edelweiss) | coat of arms: per pale (mountains: white) | coat of arms: per pale (lions: black) | coat of arms: per pale (lions: 3) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 9th November 1953, abolished 30th June 1972
Green-yellow, adopted 09.11.1953. Sonthofen was united with Kempten to form the present county Oberallgäu during the 1972 municipal reform. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.
Stefan Schwoon, 29 August 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on November 9, 1953. The dexter half of the arms shows the typical mountain terrain of the district. The sinister half shows the three lions of the Hohenstaufen dynasty. As Dukes of Swabia the family ruled for many centuries over the district.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.
Santiago Dotor, 31 July 2003