Last modified: 2004-12-29 by santiago dotor
Keywords: baden-württemberg | ortenaukreis county | landkreis ortenaukreis | coat of arms (eagle: double-headed) | coat of arms (eagle: black) | coat of arms: inescutcheon (st george) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag adopted 30th December 1987, coat-of-arms adopted 31st August 1973
Red-white with the arms. Sources: Falko Schmidt, arms from Stadler 1964-1972.
Stefan Schwoon, 26 March 2001
Adopted 30.12.1987, according to Dirk Schönberger's Administrative Divisions of the World website. From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms are identical to the former county arms of Offenburg and were confirmed on August 31, 1973.
Literature: Linder and Olzog 1996.
The Offenburg arms were based on the arms of the Kanton Ortenau of the League of Imperial Knights (Reichsritterschaft), that also showed the Imperial Eagle with the patron saint on an inescutcheon. At least 7 villages and 20 castles were owned by the League until 1806. The rest of the county was owned by Austria, as well as some local rulers. It also includes the Imperial Cities of Offenburg and Gengenbach. As a combination of symbols for all these territories would be impossible, it was decided to use the arms of the largest rulers.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.
Santiago Dotor, 14 March 2002
by Santiago Dotor
Flag adopted 30th December 1987