Last modified: 2005-09-17 by santiago dotor
Keywords: baden-württemberg | konstanz county | landkreis konstanz | coat of arms: quartered (fish: white) | coat of arms: quartered (cross: red) | coat of arms: quartered (antler: blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag adopted 16th June 1988, coat-of-arms adopted 25th April 1974
Blue-yellow with the arms. Sources: Falko Schmidt, arms source on NGW is unclear. According to Falko Schmidt's information the design is displayed as a [horizontal] flag [i.e. not a hanging flag or Banner].
Stefan Schwoon, 25 March 2001
Adopted 16.06.1988, according to Dirk Schönberger's Administrative Divisions of the World website. From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The former arms were granted on July 26, 1957. The arms showed quartered a fish, as a symbol for the fisheries and the position on the border of Lake Constance (Bodensee), and the cross of the monastery of Konstanz. The cross of the monastery differs only from the cross of Konstanz city in the colour. The county is made up of the larger part of the properties of the monastery, with the exception of the areas which are now in Switzerland.
The new arms were granted on April 25, 1974, and [replace the fish] in the third quarter [with] the deer antlers taken from the arms of the former Stockach county. (...) The deer antlers of the Counts of Nellenbach (...) are similar to the arms of Württemberg, differing only in colour. The Counts of Nellenbach and the Counts of Württemberg were two branches of the same family, originating from the Counts of Veringen.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1972 [only for the former arms].
Santiago Dotor, 13 March 2002
by Santiago Dotor
Flag adopted 16th June 1988
Konstanz, 70,000 inhabitants, is located on the westernmost side of Lake Constance (German Bodensee), which is shared by Germany, Austria and Switzerland. The Oecumenical Council of Konstanz (1414-1418) ended the Great Western Schism (1378-1417) by reestablishing a single Pope in Rome instead of three in Avignon, Pisa and Rome. In 1415, the reformist Czech theologian Jan Hus (1371-1415), although protected by an Imperial safe-conduct, was sentenced to death by the Council of Konstanz and burned at the stake.
Ivan Sache, 10 May 2002