Last modified: 2001-09-28 by jarig bakker
Keywords: prelouc |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The town of Prelouc is situated in eastern Polabi. It is a part of the
district Pardubice, situated nearly in the middle of the east Bohemian
region. Prelouc lies on the shore of Labe, the height over sea is 220 m.
Prelouc has 9,800 inhabitants and its area is 30.5 km2. Prelouc is one
of the oldest historically documented places of our region. Just in 1086
it has been documented as a part of a Benedictian cloister possessive foundation.
On the request of the abbot of this cloister, the king Premysl Otakar II
gave to the community the town-privilege in September 8th 1261. It seemed,
that from this time Prelouc was using the black fire grate in a golden
field as its emblem, as attribute of St. Vavrinec, the patron of this cloister.
The same emblem is also on the sealing stick of the town, documented however
later, in the mid 16th century. In 1580, the emperor Rudolf II advanced
the town to a king's cammeral town. Owing to its advantageous position
at the railway Praha - Olomouc, Prelouc became a very important economic
centre in the second half of the 19th century and until 1960 it had the
statute of a district town.
Source: this webpage.
Jarig Bakker, 23 Sep 2001