This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Plav (Czech Republic)
Ceské Budejovice okres, South Bohemian Region
Last modified: 2004-05-29 by jarig bakker
Keywords: plav |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
This page is best viewed with ISO:8859-2, aka
Latin2, aka Central European fonts
by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 8 May 2004
adopted 31 Jan 2002
Plav municipality flag
Image after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (2002);
České Budějovice district, South Bohemian Region - adopted 31 Jan 2002.
The municipality Plav is an ancient village, situated south of Ceske
Budejovice at altitude 409m. Along the legend three brothers reached the
place where the village is currently situated, built up their dwellings
and made a foundation of the village.
The village belonged to the dominions of the family Vitkovci, Vok from
Rozumberk bequeathed it in 1262 to the monastery in Vyssi Brod. The monastery
presented the village to the king Premysl Otakar II in 1273. The village
has been given back to the monastery in Vyssi Brod in 1293. Plav had 16
residents in 1489. As there has been beerbrewing from 1400 until the 16th
century, they had frequent quarrels with the burghers from Ceske Budejovice.
The school had been built in 1894 from the collection of residents.
It cost in total 9.914 in gold. The school has been unfortunately closed
There are two monuments in the village. The monument of Corvee Abolition
in 1848 had been uncovered in 1885 next to the public house on the Ostrov.
There is also embedded a panel into the monument, mentioning the Declaration
of Independence of Czechoslovakian state on the 28th October 1918.The second
monument is on the common, it has been devoted to the Victims of Nazism
1939 - 1945. There is a panel of fallen solders and missing from the 1st
World War on the wall of the Municipality.
There are tumuli, pagan burial ground about l km from the village in
the pinewood. They have been archeologically studied in the 19th century.
Discoveries, utensils residuals etc. have been deposited in the Southbohemian
Museum. The memorable stones from the historic places have been deposited
in the basement of the National Theatre in Prague. There is also deposited
a case with the earth from those tumuli.
Source: this site.
Jarig Bakker, 8 May 2004