Last modified: 2006-07-22 by ivan sache
Keywords: mionica | eagle: double-headed (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Mionica - Image by Ivan Sarajčić, 8 November 2005
Mionica is located in the mountains of western Serbia, 92 km
south-south-west of Belgrade and 20 km east of Valjevo. Mionica is the
center of a known fruit growing and cattle breeding region with rich
cultural and historical past and tradition. Near Mionica is a known
spa, Banja Vrujci. The other villages of Mionica are Berkovac,
Planinica, Popadić and Struganik.
The main tourist spot in Mionica is the gorge of the river Ribnica.
The legend says that Mionica was named after Miona, the beautiful owner
of a tavern (mio means dear, lovable in Serbian), whom the famous
revolutionary Karađorđe loved so much and never had.
Other traditions report that the village was named Tuvari in the Middle
Ages and later renamed Mali Srem by Prince Lazar. The village was also
known as Donja Ribnica. It seems that the village was founded by
someone called Zivko, who came from the village of Mionica located near
Užice, and gave the name of his birth village to the new settlement.
Anyway, the tax register from 1818 lists Mionica as a village with 38 homes located in the Principality of Raka Tešić. Since 1839, Mionica has been a municipality, capital city of the Kolubara district, located in the Province of Valjevo. The oldest building on Mionica today is the church built in 1856. In 1895, by Royal Decree, Mionica grew into a town.
The fame of Mionica is linked to Marshal Živojin Mišić, from Struganik. He was a Vojvoda (Field Marshal) and participated in Serbian wars from 1876 to 1918. After the battle of Kumanovo, he was promoted to General. During the First World War, Mišić won the battle of Kolubara, beating the Austro-Hungarian army and was promoted to the rank of Vojvoda. In 1916, Mišić fought on the Salonica Front, commanding the First Serbian Army, which scored a victory and liberated Serbia and, eventually, the whole Yugoslavia.
Ivan Sache, 25 February 2006
The flag of Mionica can be seen on Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Heraldry website.
According to Dragomir Acović, the division line of the chief reminds of the characteristic form of Serbian military cap. The mountain at the base is Ravna Gora (Flat Mountain), the Second World War stronghold of General Draža Mihailović, executed by the Titist government in 1946.
The crowned eagle recalls that Mihailović lead the Royal Army in the national resistance against Germans and Communists.