Buy State Flags from Allstate FlagsBuy US flags from Five Star Flags
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

House flags of Canadian Shipping Companies (page 4)

Last modified: 2006-01-14 by phil nelson
Keywords: canada | canada: shipping companies | canada: maritime house flags | maritime house flags: canada |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also: Outside Links

Montreal, Australia and New Zealand Line

[Manz Line] image by Jorge Candeias
based upon an image by Don Ramsey

[Manz Line] image by Jorge Candeias
based upon an image in Brown (1951)

[Manz Line] image by David J. Wiebe, 12 December 2005

The MANZ Line was a Canadian company which was first registered in August 1936 when it took over the existing services of the Canadian Government Line, and it ceased operations in July 1971.
Don Ramsey, 5 December 2001

The MANZ Line was first registered in August 1936 as a venture between Commonwealth and Dominion Line (later Port Line), the Ellerman and Bucknall Steamship Co., Ltd. and the New Zealand Shipping Company. The MANZ line took over operations of the Canadian government's commercial shipping company as well as 10 ships it had purchased. The company ran from Canada to New Zealand and Australia, first only from western ports and later from eastern Canadian ports.

The flag was presented to the company by Sir Thomas Royden, a director of Port Line who presented the company with the flag of the former Royden Line with a maple leaf in the center diamond.

Although service was interrupted during World War II, it resumed in 1945. In 1947, it purchased its only new vessel since formed in 1936. The company discontinued service in July, 1971.
Information abstracted from "End of the MANZ Line" by Ian Farquhar, published in Sea Breezes in March 1972 and forwarded to FOTW by Don Ramsey.

Misener Holdings Ltd.

[Misener Holdings] image by Jarig Bakker, 13 December 2005
Source: Brown's Flags and Funnels of Shipping Companies of the World [lgr95]

St. Catherine's, Ont. - blue flag; at hoist three crowns, at fly italic "M", all yellow.
Jarig Bakker, 13 December 2005

N.M. Paterson & Sons

First Version
[first N.M. Peterson flag] contributed by Jan Mertens, 27 September 2005
Source: Boatnerd

Two house flags shown together at Boatnerd: see second row, third picture (earlier version) and same row, first picture (later version):

Both are attached, small and flipped, as and respectively.

The first version is a white triangular flag with a rounded end, near the hoist is a – rather small - red diamond bearing a white ‘P’. The second version replaces the red diamond by a larger black one, bordered red, and also bearing a white ‘P’. No serifs in both cases. (And no idea when the design was changed.)

Second Version
[second N.M. Peterson flag] contributed by Jan Mertens, 27 September 2005
Source: Boatnerd

Photos showing second version:

A bit of history gleaned from these pages:

The grain-handling Paterson firm (N.M. Paterson & Sons, Ltd in full) was founded in 1908, growing into a business addressing all aspects of grain handling, storage, transport, etc. Although transportation on the Great Lakes had started already in 1915, 1926 saw the birth of Paterson Steamships Ltd when 11 steamers were bought from Interlake Steamship. The fleet continued to expand but suffered from war losses as several commissioned vessels were sunk during WWII. Eventually Paterson was to become the second largest fleet on the Great Lakes (1959). Finally in March, 2002 Canada Steamship bought the remaining Paterson ships.

The Paterson seat proper was – and is – Winnipeg while the fleet division was based in Thunder Bay.

The firm has diversified but is of course still food oriented (and family owned) only the fleet is a thing of the past.
Jan Mertens, 27 September 2005

Nordic Canadian Lines

[Nordic Canadian Lines] image by Jorge Candeias

Headquartered in: Nova Scotia

Type of ships: Tanker

Northland Navigation Company

[Northland Navigation Company] image by Phil Nelson

Started in 1944 as the British Columbia Steamship Company. In 1954, it changed its name and houseflag. It purchased Union Steamship in 1959. The company discontinued service in 1976.
Phil Nelson, 29 April 2000

Provmar Fuels Inc.

[Provmar Fuels Inc.] contributed by Jan Mertens, 9 October 2005

This company is listed as a part of Upper Lakes Group Inc. and based in Hamilton, Ontario. Homepage:

The company was founded in 1984 as a joint venture of Upper Lakes Shipping and Canada Steamship Lines in view of marine bunkering and based at Hamilton. Details are at the company history page.

The site shows a (possible) house flag or flagoid: A turquoise swallowtail bears the firm’s name in red capital letters (PROVMAR / FUELS / INC.), the ‘P’ being larger than the others.
Jan Mertens, 9 October 2005

[Les] Remorqueurs du Quebec Ltee

[Les Remorqueurs de Quebec Ltee] image by Jarig Bakker, 7 November 2005
Source: Brown’s Flags and Funnels of Shipping Companies of the World, 1995 [lgr95]

Montreal - red flag, white oval, black "Q". (Note: "Remorqueurs" means "tuggers").
Jarig Bakker, 7 November 2005

[Editorial Note: In Brown [lgr95] the name is incorrectly listed as "Les Remorqueurs de Quebec Ltee"]