Last modified: 2005-07-16 by phil nelson
Keywords: rothesay | new brunswick | flag: new brunswick | oars | apple | ostrich feather | rope: knotted |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Pascal Gross
On January 1 1998 the former communities of East Riverside-Kingshurst, Fairvale, Renforth, Rothesay and Wells were amalgamated to form the Town of Rothesay. The town of approximately 11,500 is one of the most attractive living environments of Atlantic Canada and seeks to provide exemplary levels of service to its citizens. The shield is divided by a wavy band, representing the Kennebecasis River, a unifying symbol of the community. In the upper portion of the shield a red apple refers to East Riverside - Kingshurst, a former shipbuilding area centred around Appleby's Wharf, the remnants of which can still be seen on the river bottom today. Renforth is represented by two crossed oars, signifying the strong rowing history of the community. <..> The shipbuilding in the 19th century is symbolized by the nautical reef knot located in the center of the shield. The two discs with alternating blue and white lines are known in heraldry as 'fountains'. They represent both a source of water and the community of wells.
Rothesay is represented by a single ostrich feather in honour of the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII, who visited the area in 1860. The the heraldic symbol are combined on a common shield, representing the five communities that now constitute the town of Rothesay. The unity is underlined by the motto: 'QUINQUE IUNCTA IN UNO', translated as 'Five united in one'.
Rothesay has adopted a flag that is unique in Canada. By permission of the
New Brunswick government the provincial flag, adopted in 1965 on the authority
of Queen Victoria's warrant of 1868, occupies the topmost part of the hoist of
the municipal flag. The Coat of Arms of the Town occupies the fly.
Jarig Bakker - 23 October quoting the Rothesay web site
I took photos of the town flag in three different locations and it was always 1:2, unlike the images on FOTW and the town website.
The arms (and presumably the flag) were granted January 14, 1999, by the
Canadian Heraldic Authority.
Luc Baronian, 7 June 2005