Last modified: 2005-04-23 by phil nelson
Keywords: dieppe | new brunswick |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
From the Dieppe web site:
Nicolas Deprez, 8 March 2005
The City of Dieppe’s flag was adopted in 1979.
Its sides are green and its middle section is white. The latter contains the city’s coat of arms.
The coat of arms is surrounded by branches adorned with green maple leafs, a reminder of Dieppe’s quality of life and clean air.
The top part of the coat of arms includes a red, white and blue flag. The blue section contains the yellow star of l’Acadie. The rose is in memory of the soldiers who died on the field of honour in Dieppe, France, and elsewhere around the globe. It also represents the parish of Ste-Thérèse, the town’s most developed and populated area at the time Dieppe received town status in 1952.
The fleur-de-lis in the red section is a reminder of the French ancestry of the majority of Dieppe residents.
The airplane indicates the presence, on Dieppe territory, of the regional airport which in 2001 became an international airport.
The river is the Petitcodiac, once of great significance for transportation and still the westerly limit of the City of Dieppe.
The motto printed at the top of the coat of arms – Constantia et virtute (by constancy and virtue) – suggests “persevering in what is right”, and the text found at the bottom of the shield is the name of the municipality and the abbreviation for the province of New Brunswick in which it is located – DIEPPE, NB.