Last modified: 2006-07-15 by phil nelson
Keywords: british columbia | houston | fish: steelhead | pick | trees: 2 | mountains |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Arnaud Leroy, 3 June 2006
Source: Houston Town Hall
Houston was named after John Houston, a colourful British Columbian politician and newspaperman. John Houston never lived in this town, but his name was chosen in a contest. Until the time of the contest, 1910, this town was known as "Pleasant Valley".
The home of the World's Largest Fly Rod[…].
Located at the confluence of the Bulkley and Morice Rivers, Houston was established in the early 1900s as the tie-cutting centre for the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway, and was incorporated as a village in 1957.
Location: Houston is [located between] Prince Rupert and Prince George on Highway 16, 192 miles (307 km) west of Prince George, 51 miles (82 km) west of Burns Lake, 40 miles (64 km) east of Smithers and 260 miles (416 km) east of Prince Rupert.
The World's Largest Fly Rod was the brainchild of local resident and avid fly fisherman, Warner Jarvis, and was installed on May 5, 1990. The 60 foot long rod is constructed entirely of aluminum and is anodized bronze to simulate graphite. At 800 lbs, with a reel diameter of 36 inches, the rod was machined in six local machine shops, with material and labour contributed by 41 local companies.
Known as the "Steelhead Capital of Canada".
The symbols on the flag obviously represent the agriculture, timber,
mining and fishing resources.
Phil Nelson, 3 June 2006